Sunday, May 5, 2013

Big Yes! Poltergeist, 2 times, by Amy Sheridan

Who else appreciates it when artists show their process? I love photos and posts about works-in-progress and geek out on sketches that lead to finished artwork.


By Amy Sheridan, 2012.


I was especially taken with these wonderful pieces by Amy Sheridan (a.k.a. Drop Dead Quirky.) The Poltergeist scene is such a strong, familiar cultural reference for so many of us. The way Amy rendered the creepy image of the little blond girl being lured into the TV into stitch is just masterful.

It was gorgeous stitching the first time she made it. But like many of us (ahem, me for example) Amy couldn't resist editing and re-imagining her work in a new piece. And she was generous enough to share both of them with us!


By Amy Sheridan, 2013.

Here is what she says about it.

What made you try this piece a second time?
When I made the first one, I had just learned how to do a French knot and wanted to do a piece that was mainly focused on that stitch. I knew I had the Hello World exhibition coming up and I thought it might be fun to do the piece over and see how much my stitching had changed in a year.

Can you tell us how your approach to the piece was different the second time around? Different stitches? How many strands did you use?
I used the same type of fabric and did most of the stitches in 3-strand. For the first piece, I used black only for the body of the TV. For the second one, I wanted to make the piece a little darker and give it more definition, so I used more black and solid outlines. I used only satin stitch as the fill stitch and I made the screen primarily white so it would give some more contrast against the black.

Be sure to visit Amy's shop and her flickr stream to see more of her twisted, clever, creative artwork.

Big yes, Amy!

"Big Yes!" is a blog feature where I share, with the artist’s permission, a piece of textile art that has opened my eyes to the possibility of what we can create.  When faced with things that are truly beautiful or moving or that fill me with awe, I try to say yes. More than that, Big Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment