Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stitched Ode to Tom Waits by Giggly Mama


Oh, Tom, how I love you.  Just say the word and I’d recklessly fall onto the lawn with you, even though I am some else’s wife.


You’ve made dying your hair in the bathroom of a Texaco sound so beautiful.

I requested a custom order of this magenta embroidery of my great, broken love from the fantastically talented Giggly Mama and I could not adore the piece more!


Giggly Mama (whose real name is Shannon) is a stitching goddess.  I cannot believe the detail and expression she captured in satin stitch.  She has amazing skill and she stitched this with great speed. I requested the item from her etsy shop on Saturday and it made its way from California to NC by Wednesday.


I first came across her work in the Phat Quarter group on flickr. She is one of those people you meet online who you wish you could know in 3D.  She is so generous and supportive, in addition to being immensely talented. I’m still so new to embroidery and her encouragement has meant to world to me.   Seeing her beautiful embroidery in person only makes me admire her more.

Tom was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this week.   Congratulations, my grave-voiced sugar man!  I'm not generally a swooning woman... but for you... I can't help myself.


“Hey little bird, fly away home
Your house is on fire; your children are alone
Hey little bird, fly away home
Your house is on fire; your children are alone
Schiffer broke a bottle on Morgan's head
And I've been stepping on the devil's tail
Across the stripes of full moon's head
Through the bars of a Cuban jail
Bloody fingers on a purple knife
A flamingo drinking from a cocktail glass
I'm on the lawn with someone else's wife
Come admire the view from up on top of the mast”

From “Jockey Full of Bourbon”
(Special thanks to Jessica W for the floating hands shot!)

7 comments:

  1. OMG, I almost cried when you posted those song lyrics. That's my favorite song. Have you ever seen Down By Law? He is in that movie. I love that movie. :)

    And you're gonna make me cry with all those sweet words!! :)

    I got your post card in the mail just now too!! Yayayay! I love it!! I love real mail!! My husband and I wrote letters to each other daily when we were first together too!! I am jealous that you get to go to the needle felting show!

    XOXOXOX-X-X-X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh O, this is a gorgeous piece of stitching and your post is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great site, Lots of fun to look at and review the Awesome photos and work that you do.

    I cannot imagine where all this talant came from.

    Lots of Love,

    The Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lucky you. That is some great stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of your comments, everyone! I'm soooo happy to have something so beautiful.

    Shannon-I'm so glad you liked the post card!! Here is another Tom Waits song lyric to make us both sigh...

    Fish & Bird

    They bought a round for the sailor
    And they heard his tale
    Of a world that was so far away
    And a song that we'd never heard
    A song of a little bird
    That fell in love with a whale

    He said, 'You cannot live in the ocean'
    And she said to him
    'You never can live in the sky'
    But the ocean is filled with tears
    And the sea turns into a mirror
    There's a whale in the moon when it's clear
    And a bird on the tide

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god, Old Shoes and Picture Postcards" and "Looking for the heart of Saturday Night" are two of my favorite songs, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to read this post again. That piece is has aged well.

    ReplyDelete