Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm an Oak - Stitch/sketch self portrait

I've dreamt many times about finding my face in hidden places.



Momentarily frozen in the desert sand or scraped into the paint of a peeling, city shack.



The most amazing and frightening dream was that I stumbled on an injured deer in a forest and she had my face.


My self portrait sketch became my face trapped in the bark of an oak.

I want to make more of these portraits with more careful stitching.  Stitching is such a slow process... it was fun and freeing to approach this piece as a sketch. I made large, looping split stitches to outline the bark.  I took a little more care with my face, but I didn't sweat each stab of the needle like I normally do.


But still, the process is slow.  To get more detail, color and shading for this image... that will take even more time.  I can document the deterioration of my face for the next 30 years.


This is exciting.

4 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, O! Just sending you (or trying to) an email to say your masterpiece has arrived. It is truly amazing! I am off to read your blog to find out how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This is impressive! Love the textured sketch look that just using the black stitching makes - I hope you keep posting on the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work and creativity is amazing.
    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO MUCH, Jo, Kim and Chitra!! You have no idea how much your encouragement mean to me. I've got my sketchbook out and I'm working on a new plant-themed self portrait. I have no idea where this is actually going, but it is a fun journey.

    Thanks again!
    Xoxo, Olisa

    ReplyDelete